Saturday, October 3, 2009

From Toronto to Frankfurt, From Frankfurt to Koper



It is diffucult to decide where to begin. I have been in Koper for only two days, but it has taken me months to get here. From a brief announcement during a lecture at Conrad Grebel, to application forms, and countless e-mails between Canada and Slovenia, it has been months of preparation. Firstly, I need to highlight the tremendous help I recieved on the Canadian side. Particularly, Nathan Funk at Conrad Grebel University College (University of Waterloo) helped answer my questions, assist with any problems, and provided some great encouragement. Also, Pauline Tennent at the Arthur V. Mauro Centre for Peace and Justice (University of Manitoba) was a tremendous help getting me in contact with the University of Primorska faculty, and dealing with all sorts of problems that I found myself faced with. Any account of my exchange experience must really begin by thanking Nathan and Pauline, since without their help I would not be here.

The first weeks will likely turn out to be the most difficult. Getting used to a new culture, being the only person around who has english as their first language, and conquering feelings of isolation resulting from knowing nobody and being so far from home.

I arrived in Frankfurt Germany on September 21st. I chose to fly in and out of Frankfurt for a couple of reasons. One - flights to this major European hub were significantly cheaper than flights to other cities. Two - I could visit Eric Bell and Kris Frick, some old friends. Eric and his girlfriend Ola put me up in their apartment for what was supposed to be three days, but truned into seven. They were incrediably wonderful hosts and made me feel very welcome, even though they were also hosting some of Ola's friend from Poland, who were in town to visit the Frankfurt Autoshow. We had a lot of fun together around the city - visiting a few sights, going out for some great Frankfurt cuisine (Apfelwine, Frankfurters and Sauerkraut), and enjoying eachothers company with dinners at home. It was really a pleasure to meet these great people and ease into the idea of life in Europe with the help of some friends.

With the help of Ola (who should really be a travel agent) I was able to find the cheapest way to get from Frankfurt, to my ultimate destaination in Koper. Only 34 euros to Munich, where I had four hours to explore the city a bit, and reminisce about the time I spent there nearly 5 years ago. From there I took a 9 hour night train to Venice for 53 euros. I was able to briefly peek out of the train station and see a vew canals, but since it is only about 3 hours by bus/train from Koper (and only 12 euros), I will be able to visit Venice again and see the sights. Train from Venice to Trieste, Italy less than 2 hours and costs about 9,20 euros. From Trieste it is only 15 km, or 45 by bus to Koper - 3 euros.
The transition from chilly Frankfurt nights, to a sunny and hot mediterranean climate was a bit of a shock, but I have so far been enjoying some lovely weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment