Saturday, October 17, 2009

Two Weeks On

Well, two weeks on and it's time for an update. My first week in Koper seems like ages ago, but I'll try my best to include the most important details.

The first week essentailly included getting oriented. Many of the Erasmus (European exchange) students didn't arrive until the second week of October, but those that were here got to enjoy a deluge of welcome events. A welcome party with all Erasmus students in Koper was the highlight. We began at a small pub and played some get-to-know-you games organized by our fantastic Slovenian tutors. Eventually we moved onto the beach, and in an attempt to make a name for myself as a tough Canadian, I went swimming. Indeed, I think I swam every day for the first 10 days I was here. Fabulous weather - though the only people that went with me were Poles and Fins. Everyone else (mostly from warm climates) thought we were insane, but when it is 25 degrees out and the water is 20, it was absolutely fantastic (at least by Canadian, Polish, and Finish standards).

It should be said that when I arrived in Koper, my first impression wasn't great. The train/bus station is a little outside of town, and surrounded by construction sites and rather disappointing buildings. However, the town center is lovely. It doesn't take long to get a grasp of this small city. You are never more than 10 minutes from where you need to be.

My roommates - a Pole (Tomek) and a Turk (Baris)- arrived a week later than me, so I had the place to myself for a bit. I'm happy to have some company now, since it keeps things interesting and lively. Our room is about 3 times the size of those at the Djiaskidom (student residence), which also has 3 people to a room. The major drawback has been the lack of a kitchen, but I am very pleased to report that we got a fridge and hotplate yesterday! Our landlord in this Youth Hostel/Residence is actually very helpful. His limited knowledge of English aside, all we have to do is ask for something and he will find it for us - patio furniture, cabinets, fridge, hotplate, dishes, extension cords, shower curtains, cleaning supplies, and so on. Even though the rent is 15 euros more than the dorm, I think it is well worth it to be here. We are on the edge of town, but it only takes about 7 minutes to walk to the Djiaskidom, which is in the center - about 100 meters from Tito square.

The community of Erasmus students here is really great. A few of us were commenting yesterday on how even with 50 of us, there has been no drama. Everyone is friendly and enjoyable to be around. Of course, in a month or two I may be at Tomek or Baris' throat, but right now it doesn't seem likely. It really is a community - everyone looks out for everyone else. Most of us are taking advantage of this chance to learn about eachother's culture (mostly food, drink, and music). I've also had some impromptu language lessons in Slovak, Polish, and Turkish (and of course slovene). I am honestly quite terrible with languages, and dispite my best efforts I can never seem to pronounce anything properly. At times we all have a laugh at my butchering of various languages - but seriously, I often can't hear the differnce when they say "No no no - it isn't Matchka it's Matchka"! And how the heck do can you have words with no vowels?! I just stick to "Hvala" (thanks), "Doberdan" (goodafternoon), and lako noch (goodnight).

On the important topic of Food: it is hit and miss.The student card system here is great though. There are about 10 restuarants in Koper (and others in Izola, Piran, and Portoroz) where we may eat at a discounted price. We simply buy vouchers at the student center (Soup - pronounced "shope") for anywhere between 91 cents and 3,50, and we can enjoy 3 course meals that would noramlly cost between 5 and 15 euros! The only problem is the prevalence of pizza. I really thought with the proximity to the sea there would be more fish, but I think 4 of the 10 subsidized resaurants in Koper are pizzerias.

Before I get to my travels, I should probably mention something about my classes - after all, I did come here to study. I will be taking 2 classes with Mitja Zagar, who is affiliated with numerous universities in Europe. These classes will take the form of a directed readings course - one on Comparative Politics and the other on Minority Protection. I am starting to hit the books, since I will have to do a lot of reading, which will culminate in 2 final papers as well as oral exams. I am glad to get started studying, since it will keep me busy.

So, without classes to keep me busy in the first 2 weeks, I have been doing some travelling. Above you will find more postings on some of the exploring I have been doing around the region. Trieste, Croatia, Ljubljana, and the area around Koper.

No comments:

Post a Comment